- What should I expect from a student extern?
- What should alumni hosts avoid on Externship Day?
- What do externs do?
- By signing up, will I automatically be assigned an extern?
- What if I can't host an extern on February 4?
- How long is an externship?
- Can I partner with friends in my industry for Externship Day?
- How does alumni-student matching work?
What should I expect from a student extern?
Expect the student(s) to be ready to learn and ask questions. The purpose of this program is career exploration, so students may not have relevant work experience. Keep in mind that students are there to experience a day in the life in your role/company and are eager to actively participate.
What should alumni hosts avoid on Externship Day?
Keep students moving and avoid lecturing on their day off from classes! Observation is great, but don’t fall into the trap of only talking or presenting at them.
What do externs do?
It depends on you and your field of work. Students may:
- Take a tour
- Conduct informational interviews with people in various specializations and at different levels in the organization
- Take a look at company marketing materials
- Sit in on meetings
- Ask questions about the field, organization, training, and education necessary to enter the field
- Assist with projects if possible (e.g., research, report writing)
By signing up, will I automatically be assigned an extern?
Not necessarily. We cannot guarantee a student extern for every host site, as matching is based on student interest and applications. We will do our best to make sure all host sites are filled.
What if I can't host an extern on February 4?
We strongly prefer that externships take place on February 4, since students do not have classes that day. Please email email@example.com with questions about scheduling another date.
How long is an externship?
Externships are ideally full day experiences, but we welcome half-day externships. The registration form will allow you to specify the length and time that works best for you.
Can I partner with friends in my industry for Externship Day?
Yes! We encourage alumni hosts to provide a rotational experience for students when possible. Connect with fellow alumni or friends in your industry so that students can visit multiple companies in one day.
How does alumni-student matching work?
Student registration opens in January. In their application, students can search the available Externship Day hosts and rank up to five host sites. Matching is based on student rankings and the date/time when they applied, so preference is given to those that apply early. Once we match students and alumni in the system, both alumni and student will receive an email with their match information. We want each match to be the best possible fit for both alumnus/a and student!