REGISTRATION FOR EXTERNSHIP DAY 2018 IS NOW CLOSED.
Externship Day is a one-day job shadowing experience for undergraduate students, hosted by an alumnus/a at their organization or company across Chicagoland. Students experience a day in the life of professionals in different industries and develop connections with alumni.
The externship also goes beyond traditional job shadowing. Students will collaborate with alumni hosts, meet with colleagues within the company, and gain a broader sense of the industry and potential career paths. Whether it is a life-long relationship or a quick connection, this is a prime opportunity to connect students and alumni in the Wheaton family.
Externship Day takes place on Tuesday, February 6, 2018 — Faculty Development Day on campus (no classes for students).
- Host registration opens November 7 and closes November 27, 2017.
- Alumni in all industries are welcome to register! We especially need professionals in marketing, healthcare, technology, and consulting.
- While it is our goal to match all hosts with student externs, we do not guarantee student matches. Placement of students at host sites is based upon the number of applicants and their preferences.
- Learn more about hosting on Externship Day.
"My coworkers LOVED talking to them about their jobs and answering the students' questions. I could tell they were encouraged by the students' willingness and enthusiasm for being in the office and learning. I loved hosting students from Wheaton, especially because my externship when I was a Wheaton student was so formative for my career exploration and understanding of my calling."–2017 Alumni Host
- Student registration opens in December and closes in January. Matches take place in January.
- Students can rank up to five choices for Externship Day sites in their application.
- By applying to Externship Day, students commit to participating in the program if matched.
- A resume is required to apply for Externship Day.
"It helps you get prepared for the next steps after college in a small, non-intimidating, manageable dose. Even if your end result is discovering what you DON'T like about a certain career field, I'd recommend this experience for everyone!"–2017 Student Extern
Externship Day is an annual event co-sponsored by the Center for Vocation and Career and the Alumni Association.