Registration for Externship 2021 is currently closed
Externships provide opportunities for undergraduate students to virtually connect with a Wheaton alumnus/a to gain firsthand insight into their workplace, job responsibilities, and career path. Externships let students connect with a professional in their industry of choice, begin networking in a friendly environment, and develop deeper connections with Wheaton alumni.
This year, we are excited to connect with alumni hosts working around the globe. Not limited to making connections only in the Chicagoland area, Wheaton students will be able to virtually meet with an alumnus/a anywhere in the world! Whether it is a life-long relationship or a quick one-day connection, Externships are a prime opportunity to connect students and alumni in the Wheaton family.
This year's Externships take place virtually the week of January 11 - 15, 2021. Students will coordinate with alumni hosts by December 18, 2020 to determine the best day and time to connect during Externship Week.
- Alumni in all industries are welcome to register! We especially need professionals in law, marketing, healthcare, technology, and consulting.
- While it is our goal to match all hosts with student externs, we do not guarantee student matches. Placement of students at host sites is based upon the number of applicants and student preferences.
- Learn more about hosting an Extern
- For more information, please refer to the FAQs.
"I loved hosting students from Wheaton, especially because my externship when I was a Wheaton student was so formative for my career exploration and understanding of my calling."–2017 Alumni Host
- November 6 - December 4, 2020: Student registration open. You will need a resume to apply for each Externship.
- December 15, 2020: Matches announced via email by 5pm Central.
- December 7 - 11, 2020: Students rank their top five choices for Externship sites.
- By applying to an Externship, students commit to participating in the program if matched.
"It helps you get prepared for the next steps after college in a small, non-intimidating, manageable dose. Even if your end result is discovering what you DON'T like about a certain career field, I'd recommend this experience for everyone!"–2017 Student Extern
Externship is an annual event co-sponsored by the Center for Vocation and Career and the Alumni Association.